“Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” –George Bernard Shaw

The Open Book is all about sharing my adventures—mental, physical and through the heart.

This is my “WW” year. I will lose 100 pounds (weight loss, the first W), write 100 articles/stories/whatever (the second W) all in the next 365 days.


Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Rediscovering the camera

While I did know that I took pictures on my coastal trip (I did take most of them, after all), I have rediscovered my camera in my luggage.

Photography has long been an interest of mine, dating back to when I was a wee lassie who was given a kid camera at the tender age of eight. I'm definitely not the best photographer ever, and I have not a whole lot of talent for it, but I definitely love to play with the shots and see if I can outdo myself.

So to make up for not posting any entries about the trip--because my entries were slashed down to the point of not being worth reading by my wonderful followers :) --I'll post them here. Maybe you'll forgive me? Just a little? PLEASE?
 

This is me being squished in between two of my aunts, who live in California with their families. I know, I don't really look like them, but the family claims that we do have the same blood so whatever. It was great to reconnect with this part of my family, since I haven't seen them in years and I never met some of my cousins. With my aunts, I was able to talk about women stuff and not to be too left out on some of the family activities that required their in-laws and not me.

Stop laughing at my hair. It was windy.



In the house we stayed was this sunroom that faced the Columbia River. Gorgeous sunsets at dinner time. While my little picture doesn't do it justice (especially since I was too busy eating mahi mahi, which is a predatory fish that is delicious when grilled just so and served with a special ginger sauce), at least you get an idea of some of the colors we enjoyed.



You probably recognize this dock as the same from the picture before it. This is because I couldn't resist taking pictures of the dock belonging to the property next to us. Excuse my small obsession.



Females, please respond with the appropriate hysterical laughter.

Okay, okay, it was probably meant to be serious, but still, I got a big chuckle out of this sign. And it's not a horrible shot either.



If I thought Cathlamet and Puget Island views were gorgeous, imagine my ecstasy in going to the beach in Seaside, Oregon. It was so much fun looking through the shops, where I bought my luggage (an African safari themed suitcase and carry-on, all for $30!) and awesome fudge.

Okay, so you know by now that I'm a chocoholic. What you don't know is that there is a very amusing story behind the fudge. You know, beyond the whole Nessa-salivated-until-the-other-tourists-were-swimming-in-the-fudge-shop thing.

There I am, salivating at the various candies and checking out the fudge counter. I'm not paying attention to my own grandmother or my aunts, let alone the guy behind the counter. This explains why I had almost no awareness of the conversation between the four people until my family all pointed at me.

I knew that the guy--who has been dubbed Fudge Boy--was playing up the whole cute-shop thing because he was flirting a tad with my grandmother and aunts. When Fudge Boy asked if anybody was single, they all pointed at me, which of course got my attention (finally). He started flirting with me and was making us and the other customers laugh. I played along and flirted back (just to see if I had any flirtatiousness in me anyway); I told him that if he gave me a nice, big piece of chocolate, I'd give him a kiss.

Fudge Boy immediately cut me a decent-sized piece, handed it to me and puckered up. With everyone laughing and me not wanting to back out of a semi-promise, I pecked his lips and then bit into my chocolate with relish (not the food type).

This so entertained us for the next few hours that when I decided to go back for more fudge (my aunt was taking hers home to California with her) I went ahead and gave Fudge Boy my cell phone number (it was the aunt's idea).

For those of you who are curious, yes, he ended up texting me and we had a semi-date a couple of days later when I was forced to stay an extra few days at Puget Island.

All in all, it was a fun trip. I had new experiences, met some really nice people and ate weird things I normally would have avoided with a cheeseburger and fries.

I'm glad I went, but I'm really looking forward to a planned trip to California in the next few weeks. I've been wanting to see San Francisco for a long time, have new experiences, etc etc.

But I'll let you in on a secret: since I'm more of a hermit than anything else, I'm not entirely sure how to meet new people and, more importantly, how to stay in touch when they become friends. How in the world do I ditch the shyness and let shine the new Nessa?

Just another path towards WW, right? Self-discovery can be a pain in the ass, let me tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment